Trading software

Friday, February 15, 2013

Warren Buffett strategies

Recently got my hands on a new book about Warren Buffet:

The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life

There's been a tonne of books (some not so good) written about the 'oracle of Omaha' and plenty of them try to mimic his strategies but unfortunately, the world's most successful investor has never written a memoir himself. This one is more of a biography but it definitely look in-depth. It's pretty large though so it might be a while before I get around to reading it as I've a few others I want to get through first. I don't think it's the type of book for those looking for new strategies but it would no doubt be informative to read about his very interesting life. Has anyone read it? If so, let me know what you think.

Buffett is in the news again as his fund Berkshire Hathaway has bought Heinz for around 25bn:

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/buffett-teams-up-with-private-equity-firm-in-25bn-heinz-deal-29070631.html

It's a typical Berkshire Hathaway strategy of buying well established 'value' companies with good credentials. 

Anyway, billions aside, let's get back to the real world..... !

The S&P gap trade worked perfectly yesterday and a nice profit was earned. At around 3.30pm Irish time, the price started rising and the gap closed, eventually going right through last night's close price. 

On the racing, it was also a good day too with Coverholder winning handy enough, albeit at a short price. So between the financial trading and the racing, I won a couple of hundred. Not exactly Warren Buffett stuff but for this blogger in Ballybrack, it was a welcome cash injection as I was a bit low on funds with quite a lot of bills coming in this month. 

I've one bet on the racing today, 1.50 Sandown: Relax. - currently priced around even money.

He looks a good thing to me on all known form - he has a 7lb automatic penalty for a win at Doncaster last week but I don't think it will be enough to hold him back, provided that race hasn't taken too much out of him. Here's Timeform's comment:

Fourth success for in-form trainer in 3m Doncaster handicap last week, easing clear. Manner of that success means he's likely to go close again under penalty.

It's a nice spring morning out there - I doubt I'll get out for a run as I've to write for tomorrow's newspaper but it's good to see a bit of sun :-)  I was out running twice this week and I may go again at the weekend if I get a chance. Enjoy the day,

Wayne


Warren Buffett:




No comments:

Post a Comment